Welcome to the blog for the Villanova English department! Visit often for updates on department events, guest speakers, faculty and student accomplishments, and reviews and musings from professors and undergraduates alike.

Thursday, September 15, 2022

Meet the Advisory Council!

Villanova's English department cares about community--whether that means discussions about literature in class, chatting about moldy mattresses and other horrors during All About the Bagels, or conversations about internships and upcoming classes at the pre-registration reception. Serving many important roles-- peer mentors, representatives of the English department, social media influencers, consultants, members of the English department's Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion committee, journalists, swag designers--students on the Advisory Council do important work shaping our community. Look for them in classes and at English department events and don't be afraid to ask them about the major or share your ideas for Villanova English with them!

I am a senior English major with minors in History and Public Administration. I grew up in Washington, D.C., but most of my family lives in the Midwest (either around Michigan or in Chicago). Growing up in D.C. definitely shaped my career goals, instilling in me the importance of policy and politics in changing lives for the better. Therefore, I plan to enter the field of public policy (more specifically, education policy). After graduating, I would like to pursue my Master’s in public policy, with a focus on sustainable development. I hope to further promote equal access to quality education for all Americans and world citizens. My extracurricular activities include Blue Key Society and working as a Career Assistant at the Villanova Career Center. Last semester, I studied abroad in Prague, Czech Republic - it was amazing! I love to read, especially historical fiction novels, and one of my current favorites is All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr!


Hi! My name is Rachel Reardon. I am a senior majoring in both English and Political Science. I am involved in Student Government, Blue Key, and am editor in chief of a health and wellness blog called 
Be Well Nova. This year, I am applying to law school and am also doing a marketing internship! So excited to be on the Student Advisory Council. Feel free to reach out with any questions! My email is rreardon@villanova.edu
.


Hi! My name is Catherine Wood and I am a senior English major with minors in Business, Communication, and Writing and Rhetoric. I am involved in the Morale Committee for NOVAdance and Alpha Gamma Delta. This summer, I interned at International Gaming Technology in their Total Rewards department, which was a great learning experience for me and allowed me to use my Business minor. I also went abroad to London for eight weeks which was an incredible opportunity that I highly recommend! After college I am hoping to go into either Human Resources or Editing and Publishing.



Hi! My name is Katie Reed, and I am a senior from Bellingham, MA double majoring in English and Communication. At Villanova, I am the news columnist for
 The Villanovan, a peer mentor for the COM department, and a Lorenzini Leadership Ambassador for the Anne Welsh McNulty Institute for Women's Leadership. I love reading, writing, and thinking creatively, so I am hoping to pursue a career in the editing and publishing field. I love any and every opportunity to hype up the English Department, so I am excited to be on the Student Advisory Council for another year and continue to make the department a welcoming and engaging environment. Email: kreed11@villanova.edu



Hi everyone! I’m Sarina. I’m a senior English major with minors in Chinese and Peace & Justice. At Villanova, I work at the graduate theatre department’s costume shop and the Writing Center. I am also an editorial assistant for the Pennsylvania Prison Society’s publication Graterfriends. My favorite books are Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison and There There by Tommy Orange. I’m also a huge fan of the science fiction and horror genres, and recently read Tender is the Flesh by Agustina Bazterrica, which I would definitely recommend to those readers with a strong stomach! 


I am Kylie Horan, a junior English major with minors in Italian, Creative Writing, and Gender & Women's Studies. I tutor at the Writing Center and am currently serving as the President of Villanova Student Theatre! I am a massive book nerd and enjoy all things literary, but lately I've been particularly interested in pieces of creative nonfiction, like works by David Sedaris or Joan Didion. After completing my undergraduate degree, I hope to get my masters in Creative Writing and eventually teach at a college level.

My name is Erin Kruh and I am a junior double majoring in English and Education. My goals in my career are to eventually become a professor focusing on writing and editing skills with students! Along the way, I might work as an editor in a newspaper or something similar! I am involved in multiple ways on campus: I am an RA on West Campus, I work within the writing center, and I am a member of multiple clubs, such as LEVEL, which focuses on helping students on campus with disabilities. My email is ekruh@villanova.edu, and I am so excited to see where this semester goes! 


Hi everyone! My name is Rachel Rhee and I am so excited to serve on the English Department's Student Advisory Council this year. I am a junior English and Communication double major in the Honors Program with a Communication Specialization in Performance Studies. A writer and performer at heart who is passionate about the intersection between storytelling and education, I am interested in pursuing a career in teaching after graduation so I can share my love of reading, writing, and performing with others! On campus, you can find me planning events as the Director of Programming for Villanova's Student Government Association, discussing curriculum as a student representative on the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, and tap dancing with NOVAnoise. Over Fall Break, I will be traveling to Queen's University in Belfast, Ireland for a creative writing conference and I cannot wait to discuss the experience with others in the department.


Hi! My name is Jenna DeLeo and I am a senior English major with a minor in Education. As a transfer student to Villanova, I understand how overwhelming it can be to start fresh and choose a new path in life. After switching my major three times, I finally found my home in the English department. Feel free to reach out to ask me any and all questions about adjusting or even exploring a new major/minor! I hope to use my creativity and passion for writing in a future career and to fulfill my personal goals. On campus, I am a member of my sorority, Kappa Kappa Gamma, and also enjoy volunteering with local students through education service hours. Off campus, I love spending time with family and friends, spoiling my golden retriever, and reading/watching anything true crime. While I do not yet know exactly where I will end up, I look forward to potentially becoming an English teacher and working with others to help shape a brighter future. My email is jdeleo3@villanova.edu


Name: Cynthia Choo

Year: Senior
I am a senior English and Humanities double major in the Honors Program with an Education minor. In my time at Villanova, I've participated in the Korean Students Association as treasurer, vice president, and president, in the Intercultural Ambassador Program and Intergroup Relations Program as an ambassador, and in the Writing Center as a tutor! I am also a student-affiliate research fellow for the 'Steenth Street Project under the Anne Welsh McNulty Institute for Women's Leadership. Last, but not least, I had the opportunity to study abroad in Greece over the summer through the Communications department! Some of my favorite English classes have been Ulysses at 100, Lives of the Undocumented, and Souls for Sale in Modern Lit. My favorite literary genres include memoirs/autobiographies and dystopian fiction, but I really enjoy the vast array of texts I get to read as an English and Humanities major. Upon graduating, I hope to continue my studies in literature, and obtain my masters in Education and teaching certification for grades 7-12! :) 




Karina Zakarian
Senior English Major (Class of 2023)

I am a senior English major with minors in French and Criminology. I love reading (particularly fantasy and historical fiction) and writing, and will be attending law school following completion of my undergraduate degree. This past summer, I interned for an environmental law firm and received academic credit for another legal internship during the spring semester of my sophomore year. Both experiences have profoundly shaped my interest in pursuing a legal career and exposed me to societal injustices I hope to help mitigate as an attorney. Aside from academics, I am the founder of NOVAnoise, Villanova’s tap ensemble, as well as participate in ASO, Pre-Law Society, and several other on campus organizations. Welcome to the English department! 



Lauren Kourey

I am a senior English and Political Science major from the San Francisco Bay Area. On campus, I'm part of the A Capella group, Nothing But Treble, and I write for the Villanovan. I also work on campus as a Student Philanthropy Associate. This summer, I interned in the Washington D.C. area in the Marketing department for a global mobility management company. After graduation, I plan to work in politics, journalism, or publishing.