Welcome to the blog for the Villanova English department! Visit often for updates on department events, guest speakers, faculty and student accomplishments, and reviews and musings from professors and undergraduates alike.

Friday, October 5, 2012

Lauren Peachey ('13) on Being an English Major

Being an English major has provided me with a comprehensive education that has strengthened my reasoning skills, communication abilities, and creativity. I have had wonderful professors who have challenged me and provided the tools to succeed throughout my studies. The English courses at Villanova are student-focused. In all my English courses here, my ideas and questions have been encouraged and valued.

I have had two internship experiences. The first was with the Penn Foundation, a behavioral healthcare non-profit organization, where I worked as a Public Relations Assistant. I interviewed, researched, drafted and submitted press releases which were published on the Penn Foundation website and in the community newspaper; created brochures for the community members; and worked with the Board of Directors to plan their annual fundraising events. My second internship was with Progressive Business Publications where I worked as an Executive Education Intern. At PBP I created online courses for business professionals, drafted a “story-telling marketing” campaign, submitted weekly reports for the sales team, and helped to redesign the company website by creating employee interview video clips.

My study abroad experience was greatly beneficial and added a new perspective to my studies. I went to Sicily, Italy, during the fall semester of my junior year at the Mediterranean Center for Arts and Sciences. I learned how the Sicilian mafia systematically functions in my political science class and the components of Sicilian literature in my Criminal Fiction Narratives class. My travel writing course encouraged me to reflect on and record my experiences in a creative way. In addition to my studies, I learned many local customs, including the traditional way to make Sicilian cheese, the best strategy for navigating the colorful markets, and how to assimilate into a foreign culture. I encourage all undergraduate students to spend a semester or summer abroad, because I believe the benefits of living on your own in a foreign culture exceed any other experience.

Lauren (center with dog) in Sicily