Welcome to the blog for the Villanova English department! Visit often for updates on department events, guest speakers, faculty and student accomplishments, and reviews and musings from professors and undergraduates alike.

Monday, April 22, 2019

Villanova English Major Meg Carter wins Fulbright Award to Spain

Many congratulations to graduating English major Meg Carter, who has won a Fulbright award to work as a teaching assistant Galicia, Spain.

Fulbright English Teaching Assistants provide part-time assistance to permanent teaching staff at secondary schools, and in a few cases elementary schools and formaciĆ³n profesional schools (vocational training), in English language classes and in other subjects taught in English (such as social studies, science and technology, art, or physical education), for 16 fifty-minute (approximately) class periods per week. 

Meg said: "As an English and Spanish double major, I am thrilled to be an English Teaching Assistant in Spain. I look forward to sharing my love of language with my students as they learn and practice English. 

"While in Galicia, I hope to further my understanding of Spain’s cultural and linguistic diversity by improving my Spanish-speaking skills and learning Galician (Galego), which is one of Galicia’s co-official languages.

"I will also be taking on a community engagement project that cultivates cross-cultural learning between the United States and Spain. In my application, I proposed a theatre workshop focusing on American playwrights and plays, and a pen-pal program, though these projects have not been officially confirmed yet."