Welcome to the blog for the Villanova English department! Visit often for updates on department events, guest speakers, faculty and student accomplishments, and reviews and musings from professors and undergraduates alike.

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Kristin Stewart Poem

Kristin Stewart recently published her first poem, "My Heart Is a Wiffle Ball/Freedom Pole," in Marie Claire, and the English department's Dr. Kamran Javadizadeh has been quoted in an article assessing the poem's worth (click here to read the entire article).  

From the article (by Leslie Gornstein):
"Emily Dickinson once said, '"If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry,'" Villanova University assistant professor of English Kamran Javadizadeh tells me. "By that measure, I'm not sure 'My Heart Is a Wiffle Ball/Freedom Pole' quite makes the cut." 

"Take a line like 'Your nature perforated the abrasive organ pumps.' The best metaphors shock us because they show us something strange about what had seemed familiar. In order for that to work, though, readers need some kind of initial foothold, some place to begin. And I'm not finding that foothold here."
  
Poet Kristin Stewart