Welcome to the blog for the Villanova English department! Visit often for updates on department events, guest speakers, faculty and student accomplishments, and reviews and musings from professors and undergraduates alike.

Friday, February 22, 2019

Villanova English Alum Danielle Sekerak Sworn into the New York State Bar

Congratulations to Villanova English alumna Danielle Sekerak, who was recently sworn into the New York State Bar? She received her JD from the University of Pennsylvania. In a message to Prof. Jody Ross, Danielle wrote warmly about how much she felt her BA in English from Villanova had helped her in her career so far.


"I'm so grateful I chose to be an English major! My writing ability has probably had the most significant effect on my law career so far, with oral skills coming in at a close second. The writing skills I developed at Villanova gave me a strong advantage at Penn Law School -- and I don't say any of the following to brag in any way but as proof that the English Department is fabulous and really helped me: in my first year at law school, I earned an Honors mark in Legal Practice Skills (a class that heavily focuses on improving writing skills), in my third year I was selected as a writing instructor (I assisted a professor in providing written feedback on students' memoranda and briefs), and I secured this clerkship in part because of my writing ability (I had to submit a writing sample as part of my application).

"As a judicial law clerk, I draft opinions every day. Although the form of my legal writing may 'look' different from the style of writing I learned in classes at Villanova, I carry the fundamentals with me: organizational structure, grammar, parallelism, clear reasoning, transitions, knowing your audience, simplifying complex concepts for the reader without losing the complexity of the thought.

"Also, because I have built up confidence and patience from reading Shakespeare and other difficult authors at Villanova, when I come across pretty difficult opinions, I am more patient in breaking down and analyzing what the court is saying.

"I am currently clerking in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania for Gerald Pappert. He graduated from Villanova as well. Small world!


"I will start at Latham & Watkins in New York this coming Fall."

Thanks for the kind words, Danielle, and good luck with the new job! We're very proud of you!


Danielle Sekerak, with her parents Dr. Richard and Mary Sekerak, after she was sworn into the New York State Bar