Welcome to the blog for the Villanova English department! Visit often for updates on department events, guest speakers, faculty and student accomplishments, and reviews and musings from professors and undergraduates alike.

Thursday, October 5, 2023

Professor Megan Quigley on University Updates Code of Conduct to Include A. I.

A recent article in The Villanovan discusses new additions to Villanova's Code of Conduct. It features Professor Megan Quigley saying:

“I don’t believe in just banishing it,” Quigley said. “Well, for certain assignments I do. I already have assignments in my classes where the students give a paper prompt to ChatGPT and then we analyze what it produces for its strengths and weaknesses.”

Later in the article, she comments: 

“I would say that, for me, writing and thinking go hand in hand,” Quigley said. “Analyzing and synthesizing information, finding out what a strong versus weak claim is, whether you need those skills for law or teaching or writing or journalism, I think you are still going to need to have them.”

Check out the full article here