Welcome to the blog for the Villanova English department! Visit often for updates on department events, guest speakers, faculty and student accomplishments, and reviews and musings from professors and undergraduates alike.

Friday, September 9, 2016

Larry Flynn: Sports Illustrated Internship

This semester, English major Larry Flynn (' 17) will expand on his journalism experience as a Campus Correspondent for SI's Campus Rush with a full-time co-op at Sports Illustrated's headquarters in New York City.

As a former writer for VU Hoops, Merrimack Valley Magazine, Polis and The Villanovan, Larry will continue to hone his writing skills while fact-checking, assisting reporters with research and writing for the magazine.

“The Sports Illustrated Co-Op is offered by the English Department.  Former 'Nova English major Jim Gorant is now an editor at SI and helps facilitate the internship,” Larry says. “I've had my eye on it since I applied to 'Nova, so I'm excited to have fulfilled this goal.”

As an English major with a Creative Writing Minor and Writing and Rhetoric concentration, Larry’s many skills include the ability to provide a new perspective and to critically analyze various literatures. “Fact-checking at Sports Illustrated uses many of the same skills,” Larry explains. “Editors send me a story en route to publication in the magazine; then, I verify its accuracy and offer editorial suggestions. I learned these critical readings skills through the rigorous reading and writing-based English program in Villanova CLAS.”

With regard to long-term career goals, Larry hopes to pursue journalism, creative writing and teaching. Outside of the classroom, Larry has been a radio commentator, producer and host of his own talk show “Hoops Dreams,” Villanova Basketball TV analyst for VUBenchMob.com, a featured Boston Celtics Analyst, Language Arts Teacher at Philips Academy’s PALS Program and a teaching assistant at Phillips Academy Andover Summer Session among his other sports writing positions and internships.

“Through CLAS' diverse curriculum, I've been able to see how these three fields are inextricably related,” Larry says. “For example, many of the sports features I've written read like stories rather than ‘reports,’ because I use creative language and figurative imagery I've used in creative writing and literature-based courses. Also, teaching writing at the Villanova Writing Center has informed a consciousness of my own writing. At the end of the day, I hope to be a writer, journalist and teacher. With the help of Villanova CLAS, I've been able to pursue my interests in all three fields.”
Larry Flynn at Madison Square Garden